Nova Scotians in need of safe, affordable and accessible housing will soon have more options thanks to a new federal-provincial agreement. Premier Stephen McNeil, and Joanne Bernard, Minister responsible for Housing Nova Scotia, along with MP Scott Brison, on behalf of Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister responsible for the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, announced today, Aug. 17, that Housing Nova Scotia has entered into the new federal 2016 Social Infrastructure Fund Agreement. The new agreement doubles the current funding under the Investment in Affordable Housing. Targeted funding supports those who need it most by supporting affordable housing for seniors, the construction and renovation of shelters and transition houses for victims of family violence, and addressing repairs and improving the energy and water efficiency of existing social housing. Almost $75 million in total will be invested. Of the $75 million, the province will be responsible to match half of $42.8 million, while another $32 million will remain a federal contribution. “Creating opportunities for Nova Scotians to access safe and affordable housing is a major priority for government,” said Premier McNeil. “We have made good progress improving access and reducing waitlists and I am pleased to continue that momentum with this expanded partnership agreement with the federal government. I’ll be even more pleased when we have details to share on new and expanded programs for people in need across the province.” The province is currently planning how the funding will be used. “All Canadians need and deserve housing that is safe, adequate and affordable.” said Mr. Brison. “Through new investments in housing, government is helping to strengthen the economy and improve the quality of life for Canadians, providing better places to live and grow.” “This is not only an investment in affordable housing, but an investment in Nova Scotians, who all deserve to have a safe place to call home,” said Ms. Bernard. “This agreement represents a renewed commitment, with targeted support for those who need it most.” Thirty-two million of the almost $75 million being invested will be spent over the 2016-17 and 2017-18 fiscal years, and is comprised of $8.6 million to create affordable housing for seniors, $18.2 million for retrofit and renovations to social housing, and $5.2 million for victims of domestic violence. The cost-shared $42.8 million will require the province to commit $21.4 million in cost-matched funds, with only $7.05 million of that required in 2016-17.
San Francisco: Social networking giant Facebook has been accused of using a logo for its new cryptocurrency play, similar to the logo of an online banking company called ‘Current’. Earlier this week, Facebook announced its own global digital coin called ‘Libra’, to be managed by a governing body called the Libra Association. Calibra is the name of the subsidiary that would run the wallet. According to the CEO of Current, Stuart Sopp, the logo for Calibra is similar to Current’s logo, CNET reported on Thursday. Also Read – Spotify rolls out Siri support, new Apple TV app “This is a funny way to try and create trust in a new global financial system — by ripping off another Fintech firm,” the report quoted Sopp as saying. “We put six months of hard work into this with that design firm, which they basically reused for Facebook without changing much — Facebook is a big company that should have done their due diligence on this.” Sopp has revealed that both of the logos have been designed by the same San Francisco-based design firm called Character and both the logos feature a wave inside a circle. The online banking company tweeted a picture of both the logos in one frame and captioned the post: “This is what happens when you only have one crayon left.” According to the media reports, Current is a consulting law firm Goodwin Procter to decide whether it has a trademark or patent infringement case against the social networking giant.
The Mission has used its air and land transport assets to help relief aid and international experts to reach those affected by lava flows from Mount Nyiragongo, which erupted on 17 January, according to Amos Namanga Ngongi, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative for the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Briefing reporters in Kinshasa, Mr. Ngongi said the mission had dispatched four cargo planes in order to bring emergency aid to Goma through Kigali and Bukavu. The relief included 24 tonnes of humanitarian aid provided by the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and 17 tonnes collected by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). The UN estimates that about a quarter of a million people from Goma are homeless as a result of devastation wreaked by the volcano, while 40 per cent of all health centres and 70 per cent of all schools in the area have been destroyed by lava flows.