Former England captain Alastair Cook has questioned the team’s preparations for their West Indies tour, after the visitors crashed to a humiliating 381-run defeat in the first Test in Barbados on Saturday.England came into the contest having drawn their two warm-up games in the Caribbean against a Cricket West Indies President’s XI team earlier this month but Cook said the two-day matches had not fully sharpened the instincts of Joe Root’s side.”Fail to prepare and you prepare to fail. That has become a cliche in sport but overuse does not erode its essential truth. Look at England over four days in Bridgetown,” Cook wrote in his column for the Sunday Times.”They didn’t have their fighting edge, and that is not surprising when you consider their pre-Test schedule.”West Indies, underdogs in the three-match series, bowled out England for 246 in the second innings after dismissing them for 77 in the first to seal the match.”I know what it’s like at the start of a tour. Physically, you might feel a bit tired by the end of the first week after the fitness training and nets, but mentally you’re relaxed,” Cook added.”It’s imperative that you then undergo proper competition… England did not get that. However hard they tried in the two warm-up games, those fixtures added up to less of an experience than four-day first-class cricket would have offered.”At the bare minimum, they should have had a two-day game in which 15 players were used… followed by a four-day match featuring the probable Test XI.”advertisementCook, who retired in September as England’s most prolific batsman, said the tourists would be hurting ahead of the second Test which begins in Antigua on Thursday.”If they weren’t match hardened before, they will be now. This side has a history of bouncing back,” Cook added.Also Read | Jason Holder No.1 Test all-rounder after exploits against EnglandAlso Watch:
Minister of Local Government and Community Development, Hon. Desmond McKenzie, tries out the controls of one of the three new garbage trucks acquired for the regional offices of the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA). Occasion was the handover ceremony at the NSWMA’s head office in Kingston on October 16. Looking on is Executive Director of the NSWMA, Audley Gordon.Minister of Local Government and Community Development, Hon. Desmond McKenzie, tries out the controls of one of the three new garbage trucks acquired for the regional offices of the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA). Occasion was the handover ceremony at the NSWMA’s head office in Kingston on October 16. Looking on is Executive Director of the NSWMA, Audley Gordon. Prev 1of3 Next The Government has purchased three new garbage trucks valued at approximately $74.7 million to boost the capabilities of the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA).The units, valued at $24.9 million each, will serve the Metropolitan Parks and Markets region, comprising St. Catherine, Clarendon, Kingston and St. Andrew, and St. Thomas; Western Parks and Markets – Westmoreland, Hanover, St. James, Trelawny; and North Eastern Parks and Markets, comprising St. Ann, St. Mary and Portland.Each region will receive one unit to strengthen collection and transportation of solid waste.Speaking at the handover ceremony at the NSWMA’s head office in Kingston on Tuesday (October 16), Minister of Local Government and Community Development, Hon. Desmond McKenzie, said the Government is committed to boosting the fleet of trucks in order to ensure that the agency delivers quality service.He said that since 2016, the NSWMA has received 30 new vehicles. “By the end of this year into January 2019… an additional 12 trucks will complement the fleet, and by year end (2019), we are looking at close to 50 brand-new trucks for the NSWMA,” he indicated.Mr. McKenzie noted that while garbage collection has improved, “we are still not where we want to be in terms of the volume and the frequency of collection”, and the additional trucks will strengthen efforts in this regard.The Minister urged the workers to take care of the units, which will assist them in performing their duties effectively.Executive Director of the NSWMA, Audley Gordon, welcomed the additional trucks, which he said will assist in the Authority’s mandate to safeguard public health. He encouraged Jamaicans to practise proper garbage disposal.In the meantime, Mr. McKenzie said the Government is working to relocate the occupants residing at the Retirement Landfill in St. James. He informed that the Social Development Commission (SDC) will be undertaking a census to determine the number of persons living at the dump.“This census will help us to determine the relocation of those persons. We have to ensure that once we remove them, we find somewhere to put them. We have already located an area, but we have to do the proper assessment to determine how we go about (it),” he said.The NSWMA provides solid-waste management services across the island in order to safeguard public health while helping to create an environment that is healthy and aesthetically pleasing for both residents and visitors to enjoy.