Carragher admits Liverpool concern over Clyne decisionby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveJamie Carragher is worried about Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp’s decision to send Nathaniel Clyne on-loan to Bournemouth.Speaking about Clyne to Sky Sports, Carragher explained what the defender will bring to the Cherries.“(He will bring) consistency,” Carragher. “He played in the FA Cup game, didn’t go too well for them. I’m not sure how he played individually.“But I was surprised Liverpool let him go, I must say that.“I know he hasn’t been involved for a long time, but Liverpool have got young players there.“Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gomez. He’s a bit more experienced.“He played that one game against Manchester United and he was outstanding, considering how long he’d been out.“So I was quite surprised he’d gone.“But maybe Klopp sees him every day on the training pitch, hasn’t been easy for him, and a player at that age obviously must want to play as much football as possible.” TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Belgium coach Martinez praises Leicester midfielder Praet on debutby Paul Vegas11 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBelgium manager Roberto Martinez praised Leicester City midfielder Dennis Praet as he continued his good form with an assist on his full international debut.Making his fifth appearance but his first start for the Red Devils, Praet delivered a perfect cross to set up Michy Batshuayi for Belgium’s first goal in their 2-0 win in Kazakhstan on Sunday.”What pleases me as a coach was to see that Dennis was ready,” said Martinez. “He was desperate to be on the pitch, that’s what I want to see in the players.”He played technically, it was a pleasure to see him play. Much of the game went through him and at the end I was happy to see that he had enjoyed himself. He played extremely well.”
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Klopp claims Man Utd set up to defend when they play Liverpoolby Freddie Taylor5 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveJurgen Klopp says it is a fact that Manchester United are set up to defend against Liverpool at Old Trafford. The Red Devils almost pinched a win over their rivals thanks to a goal from Marcus Rashford.Adam Lallana rescued a point for the visitors, with Klopp insisting he wasn’t frustrated by United’s tactics.The German said: “Why should it frustrate me? I’m not the person who should be frustrated by Man United’s style.”It’s just a fact, when we come here, this year, last year, year before, they just defend. That’s how it is, that’s OK, it’s no criticism, it’s just a fact. It’s not the usual way you think United plays against Liverpool, you would think both teams are trying like this.”Again, the quality, we are the one team everybody is on their toes when United plays against us. It’s no excuse, we need to do better, we can do better, but you cannot play against each team like this, how they played today.”We are a good team, and when we play against somebody it is normal for them to say: ‘How can we stop them?'”
MONTREAL – European railway manufacturers Siemens Mobility and Alstom announced a merger Tuesday that leaves Montreal-based Bombardier Transportation facing a new “European champion” and a substantially larger rival.The memorandum of understanding announced Tuesday is described as a merger of equals with each owning half the shares of the new company to be headquartered in Paris. The Mobility Solutions business will be run out of Berlin.The combined company to be called Siemens Alstom will have US$18 billion in revenues — about double that of Bombardier Transportation — and US$1.4 billion in adjusted EBIT. Annual cost savings of US$554.2 million are expected four years after closing.The new European company with 62,300 employees in more than 60 countries will have an order backlog of US$72 billion and an adjusted margin of eight per cent.“We put the European idea to work and together with our friends at Alstom, we are creating a new European champion in the rail industry for the long-term,” Siemens CEO Joe Kaeser said in a news release.He added that the global market has changed with the creation of a dominant competitor in China and digitalization.Bombardier (TSX:BBD.B) didn’t immediately respond to the merger of its rivals. It is also believed to have talked to Siemens.Mergers in China and Europe leave Bombardier “still looking for a dance partner,” said David Tyerman of Cormark Securities.“They lost out this time but there’s presumably going to be more consolidation,” he said, noting competitors of varying sizes remain around the world.Bombardier’s shares closed up more than six per cent to C$2.27 in Tuesday trading even though the transportation giant was expected to face bad news affecting both its commercial aircraft and railway businesses.The shares surged more than 13 per cent after a report out of China said Bombardier is close to signing orders for commercial aircraft.Walter Spracklin of RBC Capital Markets said he expects Bombardier will remain a key player in a growing transit market.“An overall modernization of infrastructure in developed countries, and a rapid urbanization coupled with environmental concerns in developing countries will prop up rail demand for decades to come in our view,” he wrote in a report.Analyst Cameron Doerksen of National Bank Financial said Bombardier Transportation can still succeed as a standalone company.Bombardier Transportation would be the world’s third-largest railway company with a strong presence in France, Germany and Britain. It has a four-year backlog of orders and is moving towards an eight per cent EBIT margin.Under a proposed merger with Siemens, Bombardier would have reportedly ceded control of signalling and maintained only marginal control over a separate rolling stock joint venture.“Given the cyclicality of Bombardier’s Aerospace operations, in our view, it was important that Bombardier maintained control of Bombardier Transportation,” he wrote in a note before the Siemens-Alstom merger was announced.The industry is undergoing consolidation to compete with the state-backed rival Chinese railway manufacturer CRRC that is growing its global reach.Doerksen added that the near-to-medium-term threat from the state-owned CRRC Chinese railway is exaggerated since only about 8.5 per cent of its revenues last year were outside of China and it has little presence in Western Europe.China’s cost advantage may also be limited since most buyers require significant local content, forcing CRRC to build new manufacturing facilities in major markets.
TORONTO – Sears Canada began its liquidation sales at its remaining stores across the country Thursday, but many shoppers found the deals to be underwhelming.While signs suggested discounts of 20 to 50 per cent off — with a note that exceptions apply — relatively few items at a Toronto store appeared to be offered at half off. Some big ticket items such as snowblowers and treadmills were only 10 per cent off.“For a close-out deal, I would have thought the sale would be a bit higher. And maybe it will be, as closing time approaches. And maybe by that time everything will be gone!” said 86-year-old Madeline Cameron, who said she had been shopping at Sears for 60 or 70 years.After looking at the dozens of shoppers braving long, slow check-out lines she decided to leave without buying anything.“I can’t stand in lineups for a long time … I might come early tomorrow morning. I’d say the lineups are maybe half an hour, an hour long.”A joint-venture group — which includes Hilco Global, Gordon Brothers Canada, Tiger Capital Group and Great American Group — is running the liquidation sales at 74 remaining department stores and eight Home stores, a step towards Sears Canada closing its doors for good after 65 years in business.Sears Canada gift cards will be honoured throughout the sale, but the company stopped honouring extended warranties as of Wednesday.“It’s rather sad. Sears could always be counted on to be a good competitor, and certainly I think the Kenmore brand is very reliable, and has been a staple in the Canadian market. It’s going to be a loss,” said shopper Karen Ottmann.At the Toronto Fairview Mall location, the appliance department was among the busiest, with many shoppers picking up vaccuums, microwaves, blenders and other kitchen equipment.Some shoppers, like stay-at-home mom Elana Iordan, were happy to get a head start on Christmas shopping. But many, Iordan included, expressed regret about the company’s imminent closure.“We always came at Christmas. It was affordable,” Iordan said, noting there aren’t any similar stores in locations convenient for her. “We don’t have anything around us anymore.”Another shopper, Joan Challis, said she was angry at the way the closure has been handled by the company’s management.“It’s nasty, what happened here … I’m not happy about it. Neighbours of mine have extended warranties on appliances, so that’s going to hurt them,” she said.“The employees and the public, they’re all going to lose out. But head office, management, they’re not going to lose out, I don’t think. I think they’ll end out coming out fairly clean.”Liquidation sales at 49 Sears Hometown stores were expected to start Thursday, or sometime soon, but discounts there will vary, according to Sears Canada spokesman Joel Shaffer.Some items are also listed for clearance on the Sears Canada website, including a four-piece outdoor furniture set discounted from $499.99 to $299.95. However, not everything online has been marked down just yet.The sales are expected to last between 10 to 14 weeks. Sears Canada timed its liquidation sales to take advantage of the busy holiday shopping season to maximize the value it could attain for the inventory.The retailer has been in creditor protection since June, but was unable to find a buyer which would allow it to keep operating.Sears Canada received court approval to proceed with its liquidation sales last week. A group led by its executive chairman Brandon Stranzl had been in weeks-long discussions with Sears Canada to purchase the retailer and continue to operate it. However, no deal was reached.Stranzl resigned from Sears Canada’s board of directors on Monday.
German automaker Volkswagen says its factory in Tennessee will be the focus of an $800 million investment in its manufacturing of electric vehicles in North America.Volkswagen said in a news release Monday that it will expand its plant in Chattanooga and create 1,000 jobs there as the factory gears up for electric vehicle production beginning in 2022.The factory will produce a vehicle using a modular chassis the company has said will help build electric vehicles for the mass market. Volkswagen currently builds two vehicles in Chattanooga.Volkswagen said last week it posted an annual sales record in 2018. The company has paid more than more than $31 billion in fines and settlements after it was caught installing software that let cars cheat on U.S. emissions tests.Adrian Sainz, The Associated Press
New Delhi: Public procurement worth Rs 50,000 crore is expected to take place through the commerce ministry’s online marketplace GeM during 2019-20, an official said. In 2018-19, Government e-Marketplace (GeM) touched Rs 17,325 crore mark in terms of value of transactions as compared to Rs 5,885 crore in the previous financial year and Rs 422 crore in 2016-17. “We are targeting Rs 50,000 crore worth of transactions to be carried out through this platform in 2019-20,” the official said. The ministry launched the GeM on August 9, 2016 with the objective of creating an open and transparent procurement platform for government departments, ministries and agencies. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalMeanwhile, the commerce ministry, in a statement on Monday, said 2018-19 has witnessed a multifold increase in total value of transactions on the portal and doubling of number of sellers at the marketplace. It said over two lakh sellers are offering more than eight lakh products on this platform. It added that training of over 1.3 lakh buyers and sellers has been conducted across 28 states and Union Territories to enable them operate the platform seamlessly. “MoUs have been signed with 12 banks for payment integration to facilitate a cashless and paperless payment system on the platform,” the ministry said. Public procurement of the Central and State governments runs into over Rs 2 lakh crore annually.
Kolkata: The Alipore weather office made it clear on Friday that the city, along with the districts in South Bengal, will continue to suffer because of the scorching heat for the next 48 hours.The met office also sounded heat wave alert at eight districts in the western part of the state, namely Purulia, Bankura, Birbhum, West Midnapore, Jhargram, West Burdwan, East Burdwan and Murshidabad. “There will be no respite from the sultry weather in the next 48 hours. Temperature in Kolkata will be hovering around 37 to 38 degree Celsius, but the humidity level will ensure profuse perspiration and discomfort. Meanwhile, temperature in the western districts will range between 40 and 42 degrees,” said Sanjib Bandyopadhyay, deputy director general, meteorology, Regional Meteorological Centre (RMC), Kolkata. The Alipore met office recorded a maximum temperature of 36.7 degrees in the city on Friday, which is two degrees above normal. However, excessive moisture content in the air made the elements feel like 49 degrees, weather scientists said. The maximum temperature was recorded from Bankura, where temperature shot up to 42.8 degrees. Dum Dum recorded a temperature of 39.2 degree Celsius. A senior official of the weather office said moist Southwesterly winds from the Bay of Bengal are entering the city but not reaching the western districts. These places are being swept by dry Northwesterly winds. “So, temperature is higher in the western districts and warning of heat wave has been sounded. There is no warning of heat wave in Kolkata but the citizens should be ready to sweat it out due to the soaring humidity,” the official added. He said that the maximum temperature has remained more or less the same over the past few days in the city, but the minimum relative humidity is rising as a result of a cyclonic circulation over Bangladesh, resulting in moist Southwesterly winds from the Bay of Bengal to blow through Kolkata. The weather office, however, predicted rain in five districts of North Bengal immediately after the next 48 hours, particularly in Cooch Behar and Alipurduar districts. “A low-pressure belt is expected to form over the Bay of Bengal around Monday. This may push abundant moisture into the land, making conditions favourable for the formation of rain clouds. So, there may be chances of rain in the city and South Bengal districts after Monday,” the official said.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday turned down former Kolkata Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar’s plea seeking setting up of a special bench to hear extension of his interim protection from arrest in the Saradha scam. The Supreme Court registry informed Kumar’s counsel that the matter cannot be listed this week. Kumar was recently removed by the Election Commission (EC) from the post of Additional Director General – Criminal Investigation Department (CID) West Bengal and attached to the Home Ministry. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroad The former Bengal officer moved the top court on Monday, after it last week withdrew protection granted to him from arrest earlier on February 5 in the Saradha case, but gave him a week to approach other courts for relief. His protection from arrest ends on Friday. Kumar’s counsel told a vacation bench, comprising Justices Indira Banerjee and Sanjiv Khanna, that the matter required urgent listing as a week of protection from arrest was not enough and he needed more time to approach a court in Kolkata, where the lawyers were on strike. Also Read – Firms staying closed 10 days a month due to recession, govt doing nothing: Priyanka Gandhi The court, however, told Kumar’s counsel that since the earlier order was passed by a three-judge bench, it would be appropriate to approach the Registrar General of the apex court for setting up of a bench. The court told the counsel that CJI was the master of the roster. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has accused Kumar of tampering with evidence in the Saradha case chit fund scam case to shield powerful politicians. Vacating its February 5 order, the top court on Saturday expressed concern over the manner in which the case had panned out.
Celtic Football Club manager Brendan Rodgers has revealed the club are set to offer Ryan Christie a new contract.The Scotland midfielder came off the bench to score Celtic’s third goal as they overcame Hearts 3-0 to secure a place in the Scottish League Cup final.“He’s someone that of course, we would look to commit to,” Rodgers said, according to Evening Times.“The club have been talking to his representatives but I’m not aware of any movement. I tend to focus on working with the players.”“He is in his last year but we have had other players like Stuart Armstrong. My focus is on making them better as players, giving them a future here to be involved and be a part of.”“Hopefully then the other stuff can sort itself out. He is definitely a player that we would love to keep. He is a fantastic player. You saw his contribution today. You saw it at Aberdeen when he was there. It was step-by-step but now is 23.”“He is at a really good age to come in and have the personality to play at a big club. He did well against Leipzig so he can make a valuable contribution to this team.”Match Preview: Manchester United vs Leicester City Boro Tanchev – September 13, 2019 Old Trafford is the venue for the Premier League encounter between Manchester United and Leicester City, which kicks off at 16:00 (CET) on Saturday.“It’s been a process with Ryan. When I first came in, I felt he could be in and around the squad and he played some games.”“But for him to be able to give his best to Celtic and cope with the pressures of being at a big club, he had to go out and feel that pressure on a weekly basis.”“He went to a great club in Aberdeen with a great manager, so he felt that pressure playing.”“I always felt he could come back and then make a contribution because you need such personality to play for the big clubs and play in big games.”“Since he’s come back, he’s shown that. He’s come into games, he started games and you saw his impact.”“He scored a brilliant goal and was involved in two others.”