Tweet Share HealthInternationalLifestylePrint ‘Chin jobs’ head cosmetic-surgery list in US by: – April 16, 2012 Share 16 Views no discussions Sharing is caring! Share More than 20,000 chin implants took place in the US last year.Chin implants are the fastest growing type of cosmetic procedure in the US according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).The body reported 20,680 operations in 2011, a 71% increase since 2010.However, the chin implants still account for a small proportion of the overall number of cosmetic procedures taking place. British surgeons said chin impants were rarely done in isolation but as part of a package of cosmetic surgery.Last month, data from American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery showed liposuction was the most common cosmetic surgical procedure with 325,332 operations.This was closely followed by breast augmentation (316,848).However, the ASPS said the main growth was in chin implants, with almost equal numbers of men and women opting to modify their jawline.The ASPS represents 7,000 surgeons in the US. Its president, Malcolm Roth, said: “People are considering chin augmentation as a way to restore their youthful look, just like a facelift.”One patient, Lizette Stephens, said: “I do a lot of video chats and I’m in a lot of photos and noticed that my double chin was very pronounced. “It really, really bothered me. I wanted to do something about it.”James McDiarmid, a consultant surgeon and spokesperson for the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, said: “No-one ever comes into my clinic asking for a chin implant. Nobody says ‘I want to look like Bruce Forsyth’.”Instead, he says, it is being used as part of other operations such as reducing the size of a nose when “the small chin is making the nose look bigger.”Around 80% of his chin implants are part of other cosmetic surgery operations.Mr McDiarmid said: “It is a more complex response to demands from patients.”BBC News
(REUTERS) – U.S. Open organisers said on Wednesday they will include a wheelchair tournament at this year’s Grand Slam following a player backlash over their decision to scrap the event as part of measures to curb the spread of COVID-19.The United States Tennis Association’s announcement comes five days after the national governing body said it was rethinking their decision and that it could have better communicated with wheelchair athletes.“The decision was made following multiple virtual meetings with a group of wheelchair athletes and the International Tennis Federation over the last week,” the USTA said in a statement.“The 2020 U.S. Open Wheelchair Competition will feature men’s and women’s singles and doubles and quad singles and doubles, with draw sizes similar to past U.S. Opens.”Australian Paralympic tennis champion Dylan Alcott, who led the player backlash and had described the exclusion as “disgusting discrimination”, thanked organisers for reversing the decision.“I was in tears (when the event was excluded),” the twice U.S. Open champion said on Australia’s Channel Nine.“It was just because it was so hard sometimes, growing up with a disability, where able-bodied people decide which restaurant you go in to, which school you go in to, which tennis tournaments you can play.“It’s a huge turning point to show how supportive a community can be and from the bottom of my heart, I can’t say thanks enough.”The changes at this year’s U.S. Open in New York include no spectators, reducing the number of teams in the men’s and women’s doubles events by half, and the elimination of the mixed doubles and juniors competitions.