Radio journalist killed in Caribbean coast town

first_imgNews April 27, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts to go further RSF_en Reports RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America HondurasAmericas News 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies HondurasAmericas center_img May 13, 2021 Find out more July 6, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Radio journalist killed in Caribbean coast town December 28, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders is appalled to learn that journalist Gabriel Fino Noriega , the local correspondent of the national radio station Radio América, was gunned down on 3 July in San Juan Pueblo, in the Caribbean coast province of Atlántida. Both Radio América and the local police said they did not think his murder was in any way linked to the crisis caused by the 28 June coup d’état in Honduras.“We offer our condolences to Fino’s family and colleages, and we urge the police to assign enough resources to the murder investigation so that those responsible and their motive can be identified,” Reporters Without Borders said. “A journalist’s murder should not be allowed to go unpunished in a region of the country where there is a great deal of drug trafficking.”Aged 42, Fino was shot by an unidentified gunman was he left Radio Estelar, a local station on which he presented a daily news programme. He died while being taken to hospital. His colleagues said he had not received any threats.Fino is the third journalist to be killed this year in Honduras. Rafael Munguía, the correspondent of the privately-owned national radio station Radio Cadena Voces, was killed on 31 March in the northwestern city of San Pedro Sula. Osman López of La Tribuna was killed in Tegucigalpa on 18 April. News Organisation RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” Follow the news on Honduraslast_img read more


Couple rescued from ice cave burned hair to keep warm: ‘We would’ve died’ in hours

first_imgSpencer and Jessica Christiansen(ALTA, Wyo.) — Out of fuel for fire and battling frostbite, a young couple says they were prepared to die when emergency officers rescued them from a freezing-cold ice cave over the weekend.Spencer and Jessica Christiansen were soaking wet and fighting hypothermia when rescue workers pulled them out of the total darkness of an unmapped ice cave in Wyoming on Sunday night 30 hours after they entered and lost their way.“You know you’re headed down to your death and they found us just right before we had to burn the last of what we had left to survive a few more hours,” Jessica Christiansen told “Good Morning America” in an exclusive interview on Wednesday. “We knew we only had about an hour or two before we would’ve died.”After getting drenched in a waterfall, the Christiansens said they burned their backpacks, some of their gear and even clumps of her hair in an effort to stay warm. But they eventually ran out of things to burn.“We were so cold, shivering and our fingers were numb because our gloves were soaked from going through river canals so we decided for a moment to slow down, make a fire, get some energy and food,” Spencer Christiansen told “GMA.” “We were clammed up, we were miserable, we were wet, so we had to think of what we were going to do next.”The Idaho couple spent three weeks researching the cave and took all the necessary precautions before they entered, but “incorrect information” caused them to lose their way, he said.“I was excited! I just wanted a quick adventure. I wanted to have a good adventure for a day,” Spencer Christiansen said. “I spent three weeks, nonstop, to try and gather as much info as possible. … We came up with very little.”The husband and wife, both experienced climbers, said they entered the Darby Canyon Ice Cave early Saturday morning with plans to explore for a few hours. The trip was a birthday celebration for Spencer, whose birthday came on Aug. 12, the day they were rescued.They left their 1-year-old daughter, Aurora, with her grandmother and told the family to notify the police if they didn’t return the next day.The families’ decision to call for help Sunday morning may have saved the couple’s lives, according to Teton County Undersheriff Matt Carr.“They did have a plan. They told [their family] if they weren’t back by a certain time to give us a call,” Carr told “GMA.” At least that triggered us to get going in the right direction because it does sound like the condition we found them in was pretty important that we get moving in the direction as soon as possible.”Carr said the cave is like a maze and only expert spelunkers are encouraged to explore it. Jessica fell 20 feet while climbing a frozen waterfall at one point, but Spencer thankfully caught her to avoid even further disaster.“The cave is a series of large caverns and tight crawls and there are areas where you are literally on your hands and toes trying to squeeze through and then that connects to some larger caverns as well,” Carr said. “There is a lot of running water, ice cold water, running throughout there that you have to cross to get in.”Rescuers found the pair shivering and unable to move when they arrived.Both are doing well now, though they were treated for frostbite on their hands.Search and rescue volunteer K.C. Bess said it took the team between five and six hours to locate the couple.“Where we found them they were 25 feet up in a small hole or cavern and one of our team members had to ascend up a rope to get to them, do an assessment on them, [and] build an anchor to help them repel out of that spot,” Bess told “GMA.” “They were starting to really shiver a lot, shaking, and showing some signs of hypothermia.”The couple believes they were rescued just in time.“It’s really scary to think you’re leaving a child with no parents and no way out. It’s really cold and it’s really scary to face your death for sure,” Jessica Christiansen said. “The scariest part it got to was when Spencer was scared. I had total faith in him the whole time to get me out of there, but when I saw how scared he was I knew it was the end for us.”She says the “terrifying” experience has changed her and her husband for the better.“Things that were important before, definitely aren’t anymore. … I can’t watch regular TV or look at Instagram or Facebook because selfies aren’t important anymore, I don’t care,” Jessica Christiansen said.Her husband echoed her sentiments, calling the exploration an adventure that he’ll never forget.“You kinda get to the point where you say you kinda realize what’s important and what’s not,” he said. “That comes after you escape but when you get to that point, the things that you stressed about so much are usually tiny pathetic things that don’t even actually matter in the big scale.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more


GOP’s Kennedy Wins Suffolk Comptroller Post

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Republican Legis. John M. Kennedy Jr. will be the next Suffolk County Comptroller after defeating Democrat James Gaughran, the chair of the Suffolk County Water Authority, in a race that turned bitter in the closing weeks.Gaughran, 57, of Eaton’s Neck, tried to make an issue out of Kennedy’s hiring his wife, Leslie, on his staff in 2007 as an aide and promoting her over the years, suggesting favoritism and nepotism. Kennedy, 58, of Nesconset, struck back, saying that his wife works just as hard—if not harder—than he does in serving their legislative district in Smithtown.“We could have spent a million more dollars and it wouldn’t have made any difference,” Gaughran told the Press. “It’s a Republican year.”Kennedy, the current GOP minority leader of the county legislature, will replace term-limited Suffolk County Comptroller Joseph Sawicki, whose job entails auditing the county’s agencies, public payrolls and overseeing borrowing.Kennedy was a late comer in the race after Suffolk County Republican Chairman John Jay LaValle decided in July not to run for comptroller. Kennedy wound up running on only the Republican line, while Gaughran also had the Working Families Party and the Independence Party lines.One of the more contentious issues in their race was Proposition 4, a Suffolk County ballot measure that would have eliminated the county treasurer as a separately elected office by 2018 and made those fiscal oversight duties the comptroller’s responsibility. Kennedy opposed the measure, citing the importance of preserving the treasurer’s independence, which was the view taken by the current treasurer, Republican Angie Carpenter, who is term-limited after being re-elected last year.Gaughran supported the proposition because Bellone had proposed it as a way of saving the county money. Some questioned the motives of Bellone, who had defeated Carpenter in the previous county executive race. But, he later revised the plan to start after he last term ends.Now the next comptroller will be Kennedy, who will have to oversee the consolidation of two jobs he preferred to keep apart. The present comptroller and Suffolk County Democrats had high hopes for Gaughran’s chances, given that he’d been an effective county legislator starting in 1987. But he fell short, getting almost 47 percent of the vote while Kennedy garnered 53 percent.After conceding the election at the Islandia Marriot, where the Suffolk Democrats had gathered to await the returns, Gaughran said he had “no regrets” and would not have done anything differently.last_img read more


Polo Stars Celebrate Rivers Golden Jubilee

first_imgHe said: “As a government that believes in doing things for the generality of the populace, the Rivers State Government is proud to be associated with Polo.“Port Harcourt Polo Club in its own unique way, put up the Golden Jubilee Polo Tournament to celebrate Rivers State @50.Wike assured the Port Harcourt Polo Club of the continued support for the sport, noting that awareness for the game will be heightened.He appealed to the people of the state to support all aspects of the Rivers Golden Jubilee Celebration.Kobani handed out prizes and trophies to winners at the polo tournament.He was assisted by the Alternate Chairman of the Golden Jubilee Celebration Committee, Chief Onueze Okocha, SAN.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Polo players from across the country gathered in Port Harcourt at the weekend for the Rivers @ 50 Polo Tournament hosted by the Port Harcourt Polo Club.Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike, represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Hon. Kenneth Kobani during the polo tournament stated that the popularity of polo as a sport is growing across the state.The governor said that Polo is no longer a sport exclusively for the elite as it is now a sport for all lovers of competition.last_img read more


Recent Posts

Recent Comments